Animal Balance has been working on the island of Kauai since 2017, partnering with local animal welfare organizations to provide
free and affordable spay/neuter for cats and dogs. During our time on the island, we have observed a great need for free services for community cats, and are now working to meet that need through providing MASH style sterilization clinics. Our team recently returned from a two week campaign with clinics held in Kapa’a and Kilauea. These two clinics provided services for over 800 community and pet cats on the island. We plan on returning in 2019 for what we are calling the Mega-MASH clinic…
- The Kauai Mega-MASH clinic will include 4-5 separate MASH style clinics operating at the same time over the course of a week at various locations around the island of Kauai.
- Each clinic will be sponsored by local animal welfare groups and/or volunteers who will work together to raise money in order for the Animal Balance team and local volunteers to provide free sterilization and vaccination for at least 500 cats per clinic.
What Will We Need To Make Mega-MASH Happen on Kauai?
- Locations for clinics: We will need donated space to host our clinics. We don’t need much, simply an open space with access to a hose for cleaning traps and a restroom for our volunteers will do fine. We have done MASH clinics in all kinds of locations such as churches, garages, park pavilions and more!
- Volunteer accommodation: The Animal Balance team of volunteers will fly in from around the world for the Mega-MASH clinic and we will need a place for the teams to stay while they are on Kauai. We are flexible when it comes to accommodation, and are open to options including home stays, hotels, condos or even camping.
- Funding: Each clinic location will need to raise at least $5,000 in order to fund the supplies needed to provide free sterilization for up to 500 cats.
- Local Volunteers: We can’t do it without our boots on the ground volunteers! Each clinic location will need a team of volunteers dedicated to helping work out logistics such as sourcing vegetarian lunches for the team, acquiring general clinic supplies, assisting with laundry and helping to get the word out!